ABOUT OUR JUSTICE’S BOWL-A-THON
When is the Bowl-a-Thon?Thursday, March 29, 2018
How does it work?
On Thursday, March 29, 2018
we take over all 20 lanes at Park Tavern
and bowl in three shifts: 6:15 pm, 7:30 pm, and 8:45 pm to raise $100,000!
Each bowling team has a captain that recruits 3-5 other bowlers who raise a minimum of $1000 prior to the event (which in a team of 6 is about $170 per bowler). The night of the event everyone celebrates one another as a community of amazing and powerful people who support access to abortion care and Reproductive Justice, bowls for an hour with their team, and then takes the party to the 11th Frame Bar and Party room for refreshments, games, and prizes.
How do I get involved?
CAPTAIN A TEAM
• Register for a shift
• Invite 4 or 5 of your favorite people to join you (or invite 8-10 and get two teams going)
• Use your creativity, imagination, and sense of humor to create an awesome team name (the best team name on each shift will one of the amazing prizes donated by our sponsors)
• Begin fundraising. Each team commits to raising $1000, collectively. With 6 team members, that's less than $170 per bowler)
JOIN A TEAM
• Been recruited to join a team? Simply go to the registration page
, click "join a team," choose that team name from the drop-down menu and complete registration
• Don't have a team yet? We've got you covered. Meet and bowl with like-minded people by joining the Our Justice’s “Spare Bowlers” team, or contact Arie Kroeger
to chat about existing teams that may be willing to take on new bowlers. To join Our Justice’s Spare Bowlers team, just go to the registration page
, click "join a team," choose “Spare Bowlers” from the drop-down menu and complete registration (Spare Bowlers commit to raising at least $150 each and they will bowl at 8:45 p.m.)
RAISE $ WITHOUT CHANGING YOUR SHOES
Everyone who raises funds for the Bowl-a-Thon is eligible for fabulous fundraising prizes!!!
• Fundraise on your own: click "participate individually" from the registration page
and fundraise your heart out for abortion access and Reproductive Justice. Feel free to join us at Park Tavern and cheer on the bowlers on Thursday, March 29, too.
• Create a virtual team: if you live outside the Twin Cities and you want to be part of this event, simply create a team, raise funds for Our Justice, then gather at your local bowling alley, bar or a team members home and celebrate your successes. Go to the registration page
, click "start a team," then choose "virtual team" from the time slot menu.
Nervous about your fundraising goal? Need help asking friends to donate? Looking for language to use in speaking about Abortion, Reproductive Justice, or reproductive oppression? Stumped for fundraising ideas?
First, Let’s do some bowler math:
If your team consists of six people, and each person is responsible for raising about $170, that means you only have to collect 7 donations at $25 to hit your goal. A bit more obtainable, right? Or, you could make it even more affordable for your community to support you. Take that $170 goal and ask 12 of your friends for $15 each. Say what?! You’ve reached your goal, and if you reach your goal, PCR can reach its bigger goal of $100,000. It’s super doable, right?
Next, here’s a well stocked fundraising tool box to get you rolling:
Now that you’ve done your math and have your tools, here are some basics of fundraising:
• Whenever you can and however you can, ask people to support you: Let everyone know you are bowling for Reproductive Justice. When they ask why, the conversation door has been opened.
• Ask people more than once: On average, it takes at least 3 asks before people will donate to you. People are busy and even those with the best intentions will forget to give to you. Think of your second and third emails as friendly reminders for your fabulous friends and family with busy lives.
• Corporate Matching: Take advantage of corporate gift matching programs. You may have donors who work for companies that have a program like this – their donation could double simply by filling out a form from their Human Resources department and following the steps to submit a matching gift.
And some next level tips:
• Ask People You Might Not Think to Ask:
Take a chance and ask your doctor, dentist, veterinarian, chiropractor, therapist, yoga instructor, insurance agent, lawyer, mechanic, dry cleaner, or hair stylist for a donation. People you support will support you! If they give $300 or more, they can be an official event sponsor
• In Lieu of Gifts:
Ask your friends and family to make a donation to the Bowl-a-Thon instead of buying you birthday, housewarming, wedding, or retirement gifts.
And of course, if you want, get creative:
• Sell stuff – Garage Sale, Web-based auction, Craigslist: Ask all your friends and neighbors to participate by donating items for a garage sale or an online auction. Or just put all the stuff you’ve wanted to get rid of anyway on Craigslist. Clean house and raise funds for Reproductive Justice – it’s a win-win!
• Host a House Party: Host a fundraising party at your home for friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors. Share why you’re supporting Our Justice and bowling for Reproductive Justice. It’s a great way to ask people in person to support your fundraising efforts. You could throw in variations such as a Wii bowling tournament or movie night featuring classic bowling movies like Kingpin or The Big Lebowski.
• Offer Personal Incentives: Do you bake? Crochet? Babysit? Cook? Have some other hobby or skill you can offer up? Whether it’s offering homemade sea salt caramels, a personal juggling lesson, or re-gifting the prize you won from Our Justice for being the biggest fundraiser this week – you can give people incentives to make a donation or give a little more.
• Ask yourself: When your friends are raising money for causes they believe in via Facebook, what gets you to give? Do you support the same cause? Or are you giving because they’re your friends and they asked? Take a moment to think about what got you to click on links in the past. Now use that.
• If your comfortable, share your story: Stories are powerful. If you have a personal story/stories about parenting, pregnancy, family, sex, or similar topics that motivates you to fundraise with Our Justice, and you are comfortable sharing that story, it can help your friends and family understand why their donations are so important.
When your fundraising yields checks and cash (as opposed to credit card donations), be sure to log them in under "Offline Donations" under "My Account" and track them on this offline donations form.
Then bring the form and the funds with you to the event on Thursday, March 29.
And if you have any further questions or need help, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More About The Bowl-A-Thon
Our Justice's Bowl-a-Thon is the longest running event in the organization's history. For 25 years, Our Justice supporters have converged to celebrate a unique organization focused on defending and expanding access to abortion care and lifting up Reproductive Justice in the Minnesota, the 5 state area, and across the nation. Bowling began at the Bryant Lake Bowl and continues today at Park Tavern in St. Louis Park
. What started as a modest event with a few enthusiastic teams has now morphed into one of the most talked about and highly anticipated events in the Reproductive Justice/Rights/and Health communities.
to see where the Park Tavern is located. See Metro Transit
to find busing options.
Last year, the Bowl-a-Thon raised more than $135,000. The success of this event is an essential part of our ability to support and resource individuals and communities in making sexual and reproductive health decisions with self-determination and dignity.
But most of all...the Bowl-a-Thon is a BLAST! If you decide to participate, we promise you’ll have a spectacular time. How spectacular you ask? Check out these pics from previous years: