ABOUT PRO-CHOICE RESOURCES BOWL-A-THON
When is the Bowl-a-Thon?Thursday, March 23, 2017
How does it work?
On Thursday, March 23, 2017
we take over all 20 lanes at Park Tavern
and bowl in three shifts: 6:15 pm, 7:30 pm, and 8:45 pm to raise $85,000
Each bowling team has a captain and 4-6 members who raise funds prior to the event. The night of the event everyone celebrates one another as a community or amazing and powerful people who support access to abortion care and Reproductive Justice, bowls for an hour with their team, and then takes the party to the 11th Frame Bar and Party room for refreshments, games, and prizes.
How do I get involved? CAPTAIN A TEAM
JOIN A TEAM
- Register for a shift
- Invite 4 or 5 of your favorite people to join you
- Create a funny name
- Begin fundraising. Each team commits to raising $1000, collectively. With 6 team members, that's less than $170 each
- Been recruited to join a team? Simply go to the registration page, click "join a team," choose that team name from the drop-down menu and complete registration
- Don't have a team yet? We've got you covered. Meet and bowl with like-minded people by joining the PCR Spare Bowlers team, or contact Arie Kroeger to chat about existing teams that may be willing to take on new bowlers. To join the PCR Spare Bowlers team, just go to the registration page, click "join a team," choose PCR Spare Bowlers from the drop-down menu and complete registration (Spare Bowlers commit to raising at least $150 each and they will bowl at 8:45 p.m.)
RAISE $ WITHOUT CHANGING YOUR SHOES
- Fundraise on your own: click "participate individually" from the registration page and fundraise your heart out for a cause near and dear to you. Feel free to join us at Park Tavern and cheer on the bowlers on Thursday, March 23, too.
- Create a virtual team: if you live outside the Twin Cities and you want to be part of this event, simply create a team, raise funds for PCR, then gather at your local bowling alley, bar or a team members home and celebrate your successes. Go to the registration page, click "start a team," then choose "virtual team" from the time slot menu.
All Bowl-a-Thon Fundraisers are eligible for fabulous fundraising prizes!!!
Nervous about your fundraising goal? Need help asking friends to donate? Looking for language to use in speaking about PCR? Stumped for fundraising ideas?
Check out our 2017 Bowl-A-Thon Fundraising Guide
It has lots of ideas and information on breaking down your goal into bite-sized pieces, talking about PCR and encouraging your friends to get on board. And if you have any further questions or need help, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
When your fundraising yields checks and cash (as opposed to credit card donations), be sure to log them in under "Offline Donations" under "My Account" and track them on this offline donations form
. Then bring the form and the funds with you to the event on Thursday, March 23, 2017.
Also, here are all the fundraising tools we have sent out via email so far for your brainstorming/cut and paste convenience. For private messaging services (SMS/Text, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, etc):
Try copying and pasting this, and personalizing it, of course, into your text messaging system/facebook messenger/google hangouts/etc and sending it out to 15 people. One participant raised over $200 in a week last year by sending something very similar to this out.
Hi (their name), I am raising money for this awesome org called Pro-Choice Resources through their Bowl-A-Thon. Are you able to donate $25-$100? Reasons to donate:
- They fund abortion care for people who can’t afford it.
- They host Emerge - a support group for people who have had abortions.
- They lift up pro-active legislation to enhance Reproductive Freedoms.
(Add your personal fundraising URL here, e.g. http://bowlathon.prochoiceresources.org/karenlaw#.WIj1UbYrI0Q
Dear (your friend/family member/roommate from 3rd grade summer camp/etc),
(Personalize the beginning of your message). I am writing you because I am taking part in Pro-Choice Resources’ 24th annual Bowl-A-Thon fundraiser, and I am hoping that you’ll sponsor me and my team. I am participating and asking you for your support because I believe in their mission:
- Pro-Choice Resources works to ensure that all people and communities have the power and resources to make sexual and reproductive health decisions with self-determination and dignity.
And I believe in the work they do:
- They help people access abortion care and other pregnancy and parenting options through their Medical Assistance Gap and Abortion Assistance Funds.
- They defend abortion care access, support expanding access to abortion care, and advocate for public funding of abortion care in the courts, in the Minnesota legislature, and in Washington D.C.
- They host Emerge - a support group for people who have had abortions.
- They work in coalitions and with their partners to promote state and national policy that secures the resources people need to have children, to not have children, and to raise the children they have in safe and healthy environments.
They have been doing similar work for 50 years now, and their work is needed even more so now that so many seats of power are held by people who believe in denying resources to families, to people seeking to continue pregnancies, and to people seeking abortion care.
If what I am writing here speaks to you, then click this link (insert or link your URL here) and make your donation. I am asking people to donate $25, $50, or $100.
(Personalized ending here)
(Your name or nom de plume here)For Facebook:
Friends. My ask is simple. I am raising money for Pro-Choice Resources through their Bowl-A-Thon. If you have ($20 or your chosen amount here) in your pocket, and believe in the human right of women, youth and transgender people who can get pregnant to access abortion care, donate now. Your ($20 or your chosen amount), along with the 9 other similar donations people are going to make this week, will allow me to meet my fundraising goal, and allow PCR to continue to defend and advance access to abortion care as they have for 50 years.
(insert or link your URL here)
Then, for each donation you receive, thank that person in the comments section of your post and tag them (make sure to ask permission for public acknowledgement, and you tag a person by putting the @ symbol in front of their name). Facebook will show your post to more people if there are comments in the comment section. For example:
Some Facts About Abortion Care & Info About PCR - Bowl-A-Thon 2017
- Thank you @yourdonor’sname for supporting me and Pro-Choice Resources. 9 more to go.
- A big thanks for your $100 donation @yourdonor’sname. 8 more to go.
2017 Bowl-A-Thon EMAILS
- Welcome to the 24th Annual Bowl-A-Thon
- Resistance + Fundraising = Self Care
- A long time ago, in a Galactic Bowl far far away...
- BREAKING DOWN BARRIERS (to fundraising tools) With Photon Torpedos of Justice
- I Am One With Reproductive Freedom, Reproductive Freedom Is With Me
- Captain, We Can Fix That By Reversing The Polarity Of Our Subspace Antenna
- 28 Days Until the Resistance Meets for PCR's Galactic Bowl
- This is Ground Control to the Galactic Reproductive Freedom Resistance Fleet
- Defying Gravity and Oppression With Two Weeks To Go
- Galactic Communication And The Atomic Structure of Fundraising
- Landing Zones (Bowling Times), Spacesuits (T-Shirts), and Making the Jump to Fundraising Hyperspace
- Our Bowl-A-Thon Fundraising Goal is Space Dust
- Legends of the Galactic Reproductive Freedom Resistance
What is Pro-Choice Resources?
Pro-Choice Resources (PCR) works to ensure that all people and communities have the power and resources to make sexual and reproductive health decisions with self-determination and dignity. OUR VISION AND HOW WE ACCOMPLISH OUR WORK.
At Pro-Choice Resources we envision a world free of reproductive oppression. We believe that all people and communities deserve the economic, social and political power to make decisions about their bodies, sexuality, and reproduction with self-determination and dignity .WHAT SPECIFICALLY DO WE DO?
- We help people access abortion care and other pregnancy and parenting options through PCR's Medical Assistance Gap and Abortion Assistance Funds.
- We defend abortion care access, support expanding access to abortion care, and advocate for public funding of abortion care in the courts, in the Minnesota legislature, and in Washington D.C.
- We host Emerge - a support group for people who have had abortions.
- We work in coalitions and with our partners to promote state and national policy that secures the resources people need to have children, to not have children, and to raise the children they have in safe and healthy environments.
Want to know more? Head over to the Pro-Choice Resources website
MORE ABOUT THE BOWL-A-THON
PCR's Bowl-a-Thon is the longest running event in the organization's history. For 24 years, PCR supporters have converged to celebrate a unique organization focused on defending and expanding access to abortion care and lifting up Reproductive Justice in the Minnesota, the 5 state area, and across the nation. Bowling began at the Bryant Lake Bowl and continues today at Park Tavern in St. Louis Park
. What started as a modest event with a few enthusiastic teams has now morphed into one of the most talked about and highly anticipated events in the Reproductive Justice/Rights/ and Health communities.
to see where the Park Tavern is located. See Metro Transit
to find busing options.
Last year, the Bowl-a-Thon raised more than $71,000. The success of this event is an essential part of our ability to support and resource individuals and communities in making sexual and reproductive health decisions with self-determination and dignity.
But most of all...the Bowl-a-Thon is a BLAST! If you decide to participate, we promise you’ll have a spectacular time. How spectacular you ask? Check out these pics from previous years: